| Policy statement
- To assist the University of Pretoria in
providing open access to scholarly articles and conference
papers resulting from research done at the University, and
which are wholly or in part supported by public funding,
staff and students are required to
· submit peer-reviewed postprints of
their articles and published conference papers to UPSpace, the
University’s institutional repository (https://www.up.ac.za/dspace/), AND
· give the University permission to
a) make the content freely available and b) to take necessary
steps to preserve files in perpetuity.
- Postprints are to be submitted immediately after acceptance for publication.
- The University of Pretoria requires its researchers to comply with the policies of research
funders with regard to open access archiving. Postprints of
these articles are not excluded from the UP mandate and
should first be submitted as described in 1.
- The Department of Library Services: Open
Scholarship Office will manage implementation of the mandate
· adhering to archiving policies of
publishers and research funders, and
· managing the system's embargo
facility to delay public visibility to meet publishers’
- Access to the full text of articles will
be subject to publisher regulations.
will not be provided if archiving permission is in doubt or not
available. In such cases, an abstract will be made available for
external internet searches to achieve maximum research
to the full text of articles will be suppressed for a period if
such an embargo is prescribed by the publisher or funder.
- The University of Pretoria strongly recommends that transfer of copyright to
publishers be avoided. Researchers are encouraged to negotiate copyright terms with publishers when the
publisher does not allow archiving, reuse and sharing. This
can be done by adding the official UP author addendum to a
- The University of Pretoria encourages its authors to publish their research
articles in accredited open access journals.