The eastern and western ceramic collections of the
University of Pretoria Museums are wide ranging, but
there is also a smaller , less extensive evolving and
growing collection of South African ceramics.
The pre-history collection that originated in the early
1930s comprises archaelogical K2 and Mapungubwe ceramics
that date from AD 1000 to AD 1300.
Although some of the first ceramics were formally produced
in the Cape from as early as the 18th and 19th century.
The history of the University collection began during
the 1920s and 1930s with the scholary interest in traditional
African pottery and other art and craft forms.
The University of Pretoria's ceramic collections were
held in storage for decades or functionally separated,
but are now brought together under one roof in the Old
Arts Building to celebrate the rich array of South African
ceramics and the artists from the past to present.